9.6.24

NHL In ASL

 

Last night, I was able to witness something I'd never seen before: A live broadcast of a hockey game, with Deaf commentators using American Sign Language (ASL) throughout the game. What was groundbreaking to me, was the fact that the NHL recognized that Deaf people could capably carry a live broadcast and also make it engaging - even if you didn't know any sign language.

 

Here is an example of the broadcast feed - I shall attempt to describe it beginning from the top left. The scoreboard is situated at the top. Other player details would pop up as needed. The largest slice of screen real estate was directly underneath that, reserved for the game itself (as it should be). On the right are 3 split scenes, beginning with the top window. Important game info was represented by the use of emojis - the same ones you use in your phone messages; like the referee blowing the whistle, crowd noises such as cheers and jeers, and in-game events such as icing. The 2nd and 3rd window were reserved for the 2 hosts, Jason Altmann and Noah Blankenship, who provided in-game commentary. They took care to explain as to why a play was blown down by the referee, in effect providing pertinent information to a first-time hockey viewer. The bottom of the screen was split into 2 main parts, which included a noise-level meter which gave a good visual representation of the arena ambience. Additionally, a real-time tracker of each player entering and leaving the ice plus including on-ice time helped to fill in the game details.

This broadcast was a wonderful example of inclusion. There were a few seconds of dead air and feed interruptions, but that's the nature of live broadcasts, one has to be prepared for mistakes and gaffes. I believe both hosts pulled it off, and I am looking forward to their next broadcast. I do not get to sign as often as I'd like, so I was a bit rusty, however by third period puck drop I was pleased to notice I was accustomed to their signing styles and showmanship. Bravo, NHL - more events like this, please.

ACO

A recurring thought I've had regard the Accessibility Ontario Act - we need a compliance officer in order for this law to have any teeth...