Went into the Mint software repository & downloaded the "Panel profiles" feature and enabled the different profiles offered for XFCE. I ended up selecting something that looks rather Cupertino like; I've been able to configure my desktop to my liking and I appreciate XFCE for that. It's just so adaptable to different tastes!
I've never owned a Macintosh, classic or otherwise. I've used them on occasion yes, but here in Canada the cost is astronomical for Apple products - they've always charged Canadians a premium for their stuff. I loved the elegance of classic Macs and would take any opportunity to use one; the library's, the one at school, etc.
In my mid-20s when I finally decided to get back into computing it was just easier for me to find cheap PC hardware - that's why I started using Linux because Microsoft Windows 95 was too SLOW on my old 486, so I stuck with 3.11 & DOS 6!
Found a CD from a magazine that had Debian on it, managed to get it partly working (no X). Had better success with a boxed version of Red Hat on CDs.
I can hear you in the back, mocking me now, shut up! I wanted the PRINTED manual. My internet connection in 1996 was still dial-up back then, alright?
Ahem. I'd been bouncing between Win2K, XP, Ubuntu, Win10, finally on Mint, with XFCE as my DE of choice.
All of my PCs and devices (networked or otherwise) have historically always been Russian/Greek/Cyrillic Women's names. I don't know WHY, that's just a convention I picked one day, and it stuck.
It all began with Nikita; upgraded to Nikita ][, then Natasha, Veronika, Tatiana ... you get it. I hope that doesn't sound sexist - it's an inanimate object, after all. Bad enough I'm already anthropomorphising a PC.
Now I look at the state of computing and everyone has one, however they are sealed slabs of glass and titanium or even plastic. Hrm. It's not like it used to be.
I owe FOSS everything - all of my knowledge (such as it is), is due to open standards, such as POSIX, GNU & even good old IBM PC arch; which I was allowed to take apart, upgrade, tinker and LEARN how to build a PC all by myself and I'm grateful for those times.
Open standards are good! That's my point!
27.9.26
FOSS
FOSS
Went into the Mint software repository & downloaded the "Panel profiles" feature and enabled the different profiles offered ...
-
There is a disturbing trend I've noticed, especially with YouTube videos, and their declining caption quality. For the last several year...
-
I haven't used ChatGPT, not even once. When I first heard about this thing being an "LLM" - which is basically wholesale, bo...
-
I have a theory. There's a bunch of us in the world who want to see things done correctly - "the right way"; then there are th...